Chickens And Corn In The Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Alta Loma, CA
Question by mikea4
I have chickens and I want to plant a garden of popcorn. I live in Southern California.

1. How do I keep the chickens out? My garden size is 100' x 80'.
2. What brand of popcorn do I buy?
3. How close do they plant?
4. How different is it then corn to grow?

0

The obvious answer is to fence your corn patch with chicken wire. Or, you can place protective cones over the seeds until the seedlings are 8"-12" high and able to take care of themselves.

Popcorn is a refined type of dry field corn. 'Tom Thumb' or 'M-212' are two varieties carried by Johnny's Selected Seeds, 1 Foss Hill Rd., RR 1 Box 2580, Albion Maine 04910-9731.

The varieties above will grow 4'-6' tall. They need full sunshine, adequate water, and plants should be spaced 8"-10" apart.

Make sure the kernels are fully mature - hard and glossy - or they wnt' pop. After picking and husking, spread out the ears in a dry, airy place and allow to cure for several weeks. When kernels are completely dry, store in plastic bags.