Avocados In Containers - Knowledgebase Question

Glendora, CA
Question by rustycat6
I would like to know if there are any varieties of avocados I could grow in a container on a sunny patio that would be less than 8 feet tall? I live in sunny So Ca. I would love to get this as a Valentines day present for my husband, so your advice would be greatly appreciated.

0

You can grow an avocado tree by planting a pit, or you can purchase a sapling. Either way, you can keep the plant in a container and pinch it back regularly to maintain its size - for a few years. But, an avocado tree has the potential to grow 40' tall at maturity and will eventually outgrow its container. You may decide after a few years to plant it in the ground - which will make the tree quite happy, and provide you with summer shade and tasty fruit.

Enjoy your new avocado tree!