Indoor Atrium - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, CA
Question by vvolek
I have a large atrium in my home with a sky light directly above it. I have palms and other indoor plants growing nicely. Are there any blooming plants I could add? I get sunlight about 4 hours a day.

0

There are two types of flowering plants; those that provide a temporary display, and those that take up permanent residence. In the area you describe you can permanently plant (and expect spectacular displays from) Bird of Paradise, Stapelia gigantea, Datura, Jasmine, Impatiens, Brunfelsia and Beloperone. Seasonal color can be included with the following plants that you place in the area when they're in bloom, replacing with others as the blooming period subside. Plants to consider: Hibiscus, Azalea, Gloxinia, Cineraria, Chrysanthemum, Thunbergia, and miniature roses.

Hope these suggestions give you the beginnings of a colorful and ever-changing indoor garden.