Dog Urine On Shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Christiansburg, VA
Question by hstclair
What can I do to prevent my neighbor's dog from urinating on my shrubs? The urine has destroyed several small shrubs.

0

Some gardeners report success using the repellent sprays applied to their plants, or placing thorny branches on the ground around the plants so it was difficult for the dogs to stand there, but in my experience the best prevention is to fence them away from the plants. You could make a temporary wire cage around them until they are larger, although if they are in a location where the dogs are wont to mark, they will probably always do it.
I suppose you could also try talking to your neighbor about it, especially if it is in a situation where the dogs are on a leash or running loose in the neighborhood.