Pomegranate Bush - Knowledgebase Question

Hopewell, VA
Question by dyoung89
I live in Zone 7. I have a shrub in my yard that I don't know how to care for. It is about 4' tall, with orange leaf buds in spring, turning to deep green in summer, tjem back to orange in fall, before falling. One time I did see a tight, muli-petaled orange flower on the bush. I was told it is a pomegtanate bush, but can find no info on this bush. Can you help me identify and care for this bush, and get it to blooming. Thank you for your help.
Diana

0

You may very well have a pomegranate bush (Punica granatum 'Chico'). Some varieties of Punica bear fruit, but yours is strictly ornamental. Provide full sunshine and only occasional deep watering during the growing season for best performance. Punica is easy to grow, tolerating extremely alkaline soil and great summer heat with no adverse affects. Prune your shrub back to promote new flowering wood. As it matures it should provide double orange-red flowers over a long season.