Correcting Ph Levels For Houseplants - Knowledgebase Question

Saskatoon, SK
Question by phil27
I have an indoor plant room (complete with HID lights, humidifiers, ventilation, ...) and I am noticing that the pH levels in my plant soil ranges from about 5.7 to 7.2. I believe 5.7 is somewhat acidic. I know that for my outdoor garden i can add limestone. How can I correct these levels for my potted plants. Is there an additive that I can mix in with the water to bring it up to 6.5 - 7.0?

0

Many plants are quite happy within the range you mention, although it is true that a few plants may require a specifically acidic or alkaline pH. As long as your plants are looking healthy, it isn't usually necessary to adjust the pH on a pot by pot basis. Regular repotting (about once a year) will help keep the soil within that acceptable range -- as long as you are within a half point or so of the preferred pH it should be fine.