Possum In The Yard - Knowledgebase Question

Gaithersburg, MD
Avatar for mlbovill
Question by mlbovill
My husband & I have taken notice of a possum that is living under our neighbors porch or possibly our porch. We live in a townhouse community. This possum is quite large. My question is what kind of damage can this animal do? I have a lot of flower bulbs in the yard that will be coming up very soon. I plan to start a veggie garden this early spring.

Possums are usually considered to be quiet animals and don't usually cause garden damage. Most often in legend and lore they are cited for stealing persimmons right off the trees; they also eat slugs and are scavengers of a sort. However, they are territorial and do need to eat, so in the close confines of a small neighborhood they may steal fruit and vegetables from such a tempting garden. You might consider having the animal professionally trapped. There is also the possibility that it is not a possum (possums are pretty small, nocturnal animals) and is something far more dangerous such as a woodchuck or a raccoon. For this reason I strongly suggest you have it professionally trapped and removed.

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by KGFerg and is called "Fruit of Mahonia oiwakensis"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.