Possum In The Yard - Knowledgebase Question

Gaithersburg, MD
Question by mlbovill
My husband & I have taken notice of a possum that is living under our neighbors porch or possibly our porch. We live in a townhouse community. This possum is quite large. My question is what kind of damage can this animal do? I have a lot of flower bulbs in the yard that will be coming up very soon. I plan to start a veggie garden this early spring.

0

Possums are usually considered to be quiet animals and don't usually cause garden damage. Most often in legend and lore they are cited for stealing persimmons right off the trees; they also eat slugs and are scavengers of a sort. However, they are territorial and do need to eat, so in the close confines of a small neighborhood they may steal fruit and vegetables from such a tempting garden. You might consider having the animal professionally trapped. There is also the possibility that it is not a possum (possums are pretty small, nocturnal animals) and is something far more dangerous such as a woodchuck or a raccoon. For this reason I strongly suggest you have it professionally trapped and removed.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"