Strawberry Plant Lifespan - Knowledgebase Question

Elgin, IL
Question by RBUCK10721
How long can you keep the same strawberry plants? I'm looking for a juicy, big strawberry to grow in my area. Any suggestions?

0

The traditional method is to treat the plants as biennials, making a new planting each spring next to the old bed, and tilling the old plants under. Some home gardeners use the daughter plants to start new beds, but to be guaranteed of disease-free plants, you can buy some each year.

For the best varieties for your specific area, contact your local extension educator (708-584-6166), or check out the University of Illinois Hort Corner at http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/h... which give a nice chart of recommended varieties and their disease resistance for Illinois.