Dividing Orchids - Knowledgebase Question

Oceanside, CA
Question by cpreston4
I have overgrown cybidium orchids and am afraid to "divide" them. How do I do the dividing the corrct way?

0

Cymbidiums are terrestrial orchids, and are very popular houseplants. Most plants should be repotted when the bulbs fill the pot. Transplant after carefully pulling away the dead parts and cutting into divisions that contain 3 healthy bulbs with foliage attached. These divisions should be planted in prepackaged cymbidium mix, or you can make your own potting soil by mixing together 2 parts redwood bark or sawdust, 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part sand. This recipe will provide a fast-draining yet moisture retentive soil for your plant. Cymbidiums should be fed every 10 days during the growing season with a complete liquid fertilizer that's high in nitrogen.