Growing Strawberries - Knowledgebase Question

Ooaakley, CA
Avatar for bubbles_209
Question by bubbles_209
How do you grow strawberries?

Sounds like this your first strawberry crop. If it is, let me suggest a few things: The soil should be well drained, fertile and high in organic matter (compost, leaf mould, composted manure, etc.). The soil pH should be a bit on the acid side, 5.5-6.0, test it before you alter it so you don't go overboard in either direction. Strawberries demand full sun, and don't like dried out soil. During hot periods the plants will need an inch of water per week. This is especially important when the plants are flowering and forming fruit. Don't expect much the first season. The plants will produce flowers but these should be pinched off so the plants will put all of their energy into producing a bumper crop next season. Fertilizer is only necessary once a year, at blossom set. I suggest a 15-15-15.

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Visual_Botanics and is called "Hidden Bird Bath"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.