Trouble With Tulips And Daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

In
Question by sh5mar87
I just bought a pot of Daffodil and tulip. the question here is that the leaves of the daffodil seems to grow to a certain height and begins to turn yellow from the tip. The strange thing about the tulip is that the leaves start to turn brown from the tip just after a few weeks after flowering. What's wrong? Now, the plants are dried up.Any chance to save them?The temperature here is rather warm. from 25 degrees celsius to about 35 degree celsius. Too warm?

0

It sounds like your daffodils and tulips have both gone dormant after blooming. Once the blooms fade, the foliage grows and replenishes the bulb for a while and then it fades and the bulb goes dormant. Eventually, after a cold chilling period, they may bloom again but only if the foliage was able to survive long enough and grow vigorously enough to replenish the bulb. It is true that the foliage lasts longer in cooler weather, as do the blooms. I am not sure if you will be able to get these bulbs to rebloom for you or not. You might look into the instructions for forcing the bulbs again next fall using a refrigerator, but with pot-grown, forced bulbs it can be very difficult to make them bloom a second time so I wouldn't be too disappointed if it didn't work. Paperwhites, in particular, are better replaced every year. You might just consider them the equivalent of a cut flower bouquet, enjoy them, and dispose of them when they fade.