Exacum - Knowledgebase Question

Thousand Oaks, CA
Question by dmhoule
I have recently purchased a beautiful persian violet but I'm confused from the information I've looked up as to where best to position it - inside or outside? Some books tell me full sun, others say moderate light. Please help!

0

Exacum is a summer blooming annual, best grown indoors or in the controlled environment of a greenhouse. It requires part to full shade (which translates to bright light but no direct sunlight), and rich, moist soil. It's an easy plant to grow from seed and will bloom from mid-summer through fall when kept cool (50F-70F) and moist. Mist the leaves daily and pinch off spent flowers to prolong bloom. Discard the plant when it finishes flowering.

The flowers are pretty and very fragrant - enjoy your Exacum!