Obtaining Seeds From Ornamental Cabbage - Knowledgebase Question

Estero, FL
Question by champaignbil
How can I obtain seeds from ornamental cabbage? These amazing plants grow well in southern florida in the winter. They are beautiful also up north. I would like to be able to get seeds from them, if possible.

0

As the weather warms, the plant will send up a flower stalk. Each little flower, if pollinated by insects, will produce a seed. When the seedpods turn a tannish color, the seeds are ripe and ready for harvest. Collect the seeds and store them in an airtight container in a cool, dark location until you're ready to sow. In late fall sow seeds 1/2 inch deep in moistened seed starting mix. Seedlings will appear in 5-15 days when kept at 65F.