Peony Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Chilliwack, BC
Question by ikent
My peony tree is around 10 years old and last
year (1999) I did not get any blooms on it.
We had alot of rain in the spring. The year
before (1998) it had 9 beautiful white
flowers. Any suggestions?

0

Peonies are funny birds -- exasperatingly tempermental if given the wrong conditions or planted just a teeny bit improperly but extraordinarily vigorous, floriferous, durable, and long-lived in the right situation. Insufficient blooms or buds not opening can be caused by several factors: 1) Bud blast, a physiological disease caused by dry conditions during formation, a lack of potassium in the soil, root-knot nematodes, or plants being set in the ground a little too deeply ( eyes set no more than 1-2 inches below the surface). 2) Insufficiently cold winter. (Which isn't likely in your yard!) 3) Or simply too much shade (less than 6 hours per day) or not enough water.

Try fertilizing your peony this spring, and providing ample water during the growing season.

Hope it perks up and blooms for you this summer!