Replanting Daffodils - Knowledgebase Question

Clinton, NJ
Question by dkoehler
It is February and my daffodils are sprouting already. I've noticed there are many and I would like to uproot some and replant them to give the others more room to bloom. Can I do this now? If not, when is the best time to do this?

0

Separating the individual bulbs is a fairly disruptive process, so it would be better to wait until after the foliage has grown and cured to lift and divide them. If however you simply want to transplant some of the clumps, you could probably do that now. They can even be moved in full bloom if you do it carefully, although it's not something I would usually recommend. Be sure to prepare the new location before you dig up the bulbs and make sure to water them in well after planting.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"