Shade In The Vegetable Garden - Knowledgebase Question

Somerville, NJ
Question by Bk48JW
The trees in my neighbors yard grew and now I have very little sun in my vegetable garden. He won't trim or cut them back, and I don't have room to relocate my raised beds. Is there any type of vegetables, including tomatoes that will thrive in the shade?

0

Unfortunately, most vegetables need at least six hours of sun to do well. You might try a variety of greens including spinach, lettuce, and Swiss chard as well as peas, onions, asparagus and rhubarb and some herbs such as parsley, chives and cilantro and see how they do. Cherry tomatoes are the most accommodating tomatoes for shade, but they may not fruit until very late in the season. You might also consider growing things in containers in a sunnier location.