Bougainvillea Cuttings - Knowledgebase Question

Altadena, CA
Question by sara_scott
How can I make cuttings from a huge bougainvillea? I want to take cuttings from a friend. Can clippings be rooted in water and then transplanted?

0

Bougainvillea is propagated through cuttings. A matured stem of about 8"-10" long is planted in a nursery box consisting of sandy soil. Keep the sand moist, even if you need to water daily. Bougainvillea cuttings should be planted under shade to prevent damage from direct sunlight. (They won't root successfully in water.)

The media for planting consists of 3 parts topsoil, 2 parts organic matter and 1 part sand. When new shoots appear, the cuttings are then ready to be transferred to individual pots. After a full season's growth they can be transplanted into a garden bed.