White Birch Trees - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Stevens, WA
Question by fishbugs
What are the needs for a white birch tree- I think this is the name- the bark is white and sometimes flakes off like paper?-I remember my parents had two in there yard and I want to add them to my garden can you help me with some pointers?

0

Betula pendula, the European white birch, is often planted in the Pacific Northwest where it thrives in the cool, wet summer season. It grows to 30' or 40' in height, spreading 15'-20'. The twigs and young branches are a golden brown and the bark on the trunk and mature branches becomes white, marked with black. The only problem birches experience is with aphids.

Provide full sunshine and regular water; plant away from driveways and patios to avoid honeydew that drips when aphids feed.