Hillside Groundcover - Knowledgebase Question

Youngwood, PA
Question by mccanna
I have a steep bank in the front of my house that is pretty much sun all day and the soil is very dry and dusty. I am looking for a groundcover that is fairly fast growing and low maintanence but will not be to invasive.. Also I would like to mention that I live on a heavily traveled road - I would like to have something that is somewhat eye-catching and doesn't look like I just threw something on the bank to get out of mowing it. Thanks for your time and consideration.

0

It is very difficult to establish a planting in such a tough spot, so your choices will be somewhat limited to plants that can withstand not only a hot dry location in full sun but also grow on a bank. Watering is critical to successful establishment of any planting, and this is made more difficult by the slope. The most "tailored" look I can think of would be provided by low growing, mat forming, spreading junipers. They are also extremely low maintenance once established.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"