What's Chewing The Japanese Hollies? - Knowledgebase Question

Upper Nyack, NY
Question by wema
I noticed that some insects were chewing the leaves of my Ilex crenata which I planted last year. They seemed to prefer the new growth. Overall,the plants are OK though. They are in a sunny location. I've had Japanese hollies before in a previous home but they seemed to be undisturbed by insects. How can I prevent this problem, by natural means, if possible?

0

You might occasionally find that leaf miners or a beetle of some sort has decided to munch on your hollies, but you would need to identify the specific pest in order to know what to do to control it. If they reappear, you might take a sample to your county extension (429-7085) for identification and suggested controls.