Care Of Alstroemeria (Inca Lily) - Knowledgebase Question

Shreveport, LA
Question by lda439
I recently purchased an Inca Lily (Alstroemeria x 'Premier Series'). I know nothing about this plant and would like to know if it multiplies like other lilies and if it is winter hardy in my region. Also, will it bloom all summer? I plan to plant it in a west-facing flower bed that gets full sun about half the day. Any information will be helpful.

0

Alstroemeria is my favorite flower! They do best in moist, cool, sandy to medium loam. Drainage should be good. They need regular water and would be better off in a location that provides afternoon shade. Tuberous roots should be set about 6-8 inches deep, 1 foot apart. Roots can break easily, so handle gently. They establish rather slowly after transplanting, and do best if left in the same location without being disturbed for many years. They don't like to be divided. They are hardy to about 0 degrees F. Most species bloom from late spring to early or mid-summer. Keep moist and fertilize until blooming stops, then stop feeding and water infrequently. Finally, they are also commonly called Peruvian lily. I hope this info helps!