Tall, Fast-growing Hedge - Knowledgebase Question

Los Angeles, CA
Question by lacorenet
I need help. I want to plant a hedge to divide my property from my neighbors. I leveled my back yard by building a retaining wall (5 ft). The hedge I wish to plant is on the other side of the retaining wall. This means I won't see the first 5 ft of growth. I wish to see about 8 fot of growth, meaning the hedge will be approximately 13 ft tall. I'm hoping it will grow relatively quickly and not have too invasive roots as there is an older sewer under a large portion of it. I also would like some color, year-round if possible.

Also, as I need to plant about 120 lineal feet of hedge, I'm looking for an affordable solution.

0

There are a number of hedging plants that will serve the purpose you describe. Some provide seasonal bloom, all are broadleaf evergreens, and all are easy to maintain. Escallonia (my first choice) provides pink blooms in late summer and has medium-green one-inch leaves. Photinia has inconspicuous flowers but the new growth is red, turning to dark-green. Ceonothus provides lilac colored flower spikes in spring, with wrinkled, glossy green leaves. Hope one of these appeals to you, too.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"