Planting Hydrangeas Outdoors - Knowledgebase Question

Name: lynn dynof
Colts Neck, NJ
Question by frozenlime
WHEN SHOULD I PLANT HYDRANGEAS OUTDOORS IN N.J. THEY ARE BEING DELIVERED ON 3/21/00? HOW SHOULD I PREPARE THE SOIL? I'M PLANTING THEM IN A PAST WILDFLOWER GARDEN. THANKS SO MUCH!

0

Hydrangeas prefer a humusy soil that is evenly moist yet well drained, so add ample organic matter and, if your soil is heavy, a bit of ordinary coarse builder's sand. Prepare the planting area deeply and allow plenty of room for their mature size. The plants should be planted immediately according to the supplier's instruction if there is a guarantee involved. Protect them from extreme cold if they have begun to leaf out. To do this, cover them on cold nights with a garden blanket or rowcover for frost protection, or even with a carddoard box. Remove the covering during the day.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"