Window Boxes - Knowledgebase Question

North Wales, PA
Question by BHaase
The front of my house gets hot, hot sun all day long in the summer months. What can you suggest planting in my window boxes that will last the longest? How should I care for them?

0

First off, the bigger you can make the boxes in terms of depth and width of soil the better. This will help to insulate the roots from the heat. Next, you might try using one of the water holding polymers in the soil to try to reduce moisture stress on the plants. Plant choices to consider would include dusty miller, the annual flowering vincas, salvia such as "Victoria Blue", verbenas, melampodium, sweet potato vine and the smaller zinnias. You might also consider some of the herbs such as sage, thyme, curry plant, or oregano.