Planting Seeds In Pots - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, NY
Question by YANKEZ23
I am going to start my vegetable garden by planting seeds in small pots and then transplanting them -- can you please give me some direction as to how many seeds should I put in each pot -- I am planting tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, corn, string beans, peppers, watermelon, canteloupe, pumpkins, eggplant -- thank you!

0

If you are germinating the seeds in individual post, I would suggest using about three seeds per pot and then removing the weaker two seedlings. Some exceptions would be: lettuce which can have a few extra seedlings and corn, which is usually not started in pots. To get a head start on corn you would pregerminate the seeds in a moist paper towel and then plant them in the ground. Beans are almost always seeded directly into the garden as well.