Best Choice Of Shrub For My Area. - Knowledgebase Question

North Wildwood, NJ
Question by fivebonthron
I want to plant 2 shrubs at the entrance to the front of my house, Requirements;top heigth < 8', not too wide, attractive and/or unusual, able to grow in full sun & sandy soil, wind resistant. Is there any such item?

0

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Although several of the upright junipers and possibly some of the dwarf chamaecyparis would tolerate the growing conditions quite well, they would eventually outgrow the location. The junipers are also rather common. For something a little different you might consider one of the named varieties of rosa rugosa and keep it trained to a narrower shape. These provide all season interest with their flowers, clean foliage, fall color and large apple-like hips in winter. Caryopteris, or blue-mist shrub, is another possibility for such a location but may be difficult to work with since it is deciduous, silver foliaged and blue flowered. You may find it necessary to make some tradeoffs.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"