Wild Strawberries in My Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Omaha, NE
Question by ann3211
How can I kill wild strawberries out of my grass? I don't want to kill my grass.

0

If the area is not too large, the safest way to get rid ofl the unwanted strawberries is to dig them out with a small dandelion type weed fork. Then make sure the turf left behind is well watered so it will naturally fill in the bare spots. Always mow high--2 ? to 3 inches--to shade out small weeds and keep weed seeds from germinating. A thick lawn will prevent weeds from taking over.
If the area is too large to hand weed, try a broadleaf weed killer, such as 2,4-D, that is specifically made for lawns. Many times they come in combination with a lawn fertilizer, a feed and weed option. Follow directions carefully. Fall is the most effective time to use weed killers, so why not give the naturally safe hand-pulling method a try this spring and use the chemicals as a last resort in fall?

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"