Growing Rasberries In Ne Pa - Knowledgebase Question

Schuylkill Haven, PA
Question by gregweidman
I am ready to purchase rasberry plants from you. I ned to know what would grow best where I am and how to plant them. Will rasberries grow here in PA and what should I do in planting them (IE what is organic matter)

0

Raspberries should grow very well in your area. They need full sun and do best in a rich garden soil that is well prepared with organic matter. Organic matter would be materials such as compost, old rotted leaves, aged stable manure and bedding, or possibly milled sphagnum peat moss. (If you use peat moss, dampen it prior to adding it to the soil.) Ideally, the soil would also be evenly moist yet well drained, meaning not soggy. In actual practice, raspberries usually grow just fine in average soil and a sunny spot but might need to be watered while the beries are forming if it is a dry year. Enjoy your crop!