Citrus Tree Losing Leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Lakewood, CA
Question by jdreymiller9
My Navel tree has buds and little fruits started but is dropping it's leaves. What do I do?

0

Several things could be wrong. When young leaves (those near the end of shoots) turn yellow, we ususally consider an iron deficiency to be the cause. High pH, high phosphorous and of course low soil iron levels all can result in iron deficiency symptoms. If older leaves are yellowing, nitrogen may be deficient. However, with iron or nitrogen deficiency, the leaves usually do not fall from the plant.

Root problems are a more likely cause. Root rot infection, physical damage to roots, drought and overwatering (soggy, waterlogged soil) can all cause leaves to turn yellow and fall.

Try to determine which of the cultural problems listed above may be the cause and take steps to alleviate it. If a root rot disease is present, there may be little that you can do at this time other than to avoid overwatering which tends to make things worse.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"