What's happening to the leaves on my two huge maples. - Knowledgebase Question

Great Meadows, N.J. Warren Cou
Question by cippy
I have two vast maples that have developed brownish/black splotches on leaves here in North Jersey. Can any one shed some light on this. We have had an above average amount of rain from early spring till now.

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Answer from sooby

5

Tar spot is a fungal disease of maple that is very common in my area. It doesn't significantly damage the tree but is unsightly. This is what it looks like. If that's not it, can you post a picture of the problem?

https://www.google.ca/search?q...

Great Meadows, N.J. Warren Cou
A comment from cippy
Thanks for your answer. I believe U hit the nail on the head. It has rained mostly 2-3 times a week since spring. Some are severe/biblical. No dry spells. All good organic soil material is gone. My lawn soil is tan in color. Which makes for a new question, how to put organics back into lawn with out replacing it. I believe spraying the trees for tar spot is a waste of time, this late in the season, or at any time. Once you have it, you have it. Am I correct? Thanks again for Your time.----Cip.

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
A comment from sooby
It's widespread here on cultivated and wild maples and not really worth treating so yes, pretty much once you have it you have it. As for the lawn, you can topdress with organic matter and it will work its way into the soil.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"