How am I killing my bird of paradise :'( - Knowledgebase Question

Toronto, Ontario
Question by Jmbartlett88
I bought this beautiful plant three months ago and it used to be so healthy and tall.

I have kept it in an east facing window where I believe it receives a few hours of direct sun and a few hours of indirect sun each day. I have been watering it once or twice a week and mist it's leaves once a week too.

I have not used any fertilizer with it.

This poor thing is dying and I need help ASAP. Any advice appreciated.

Thumb of 2017-08-24/Jmbartlett88/6fb222
Thumb of 2017-08-24/Jmbartlett88/6600e8

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

2

From the photo, it appears that your White Bird is in a corner between two very large windows up high where there are no obstructions. That suggests that it is getting northeast or southeast light all day and that means a lot of direct sun, unless you pull sheers or blinds across.

That is not necessarily too much light, but it does mean the plant will require a lot of water. The weak stems often result from excessive dryness.

Also, I observe that you do not have a saucer under the pot and that means you are not watering thoroughly enough for fear you will damage the floor. When you water, it is important to pour the water in slowly until some trickles through the drain holes into a water tight saucer or container. Water when the surface of the soil feels almost dry.

If my assumptions about the location are incorrect, let us know.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"