Poka-dot plant help - Knowledgebase Question

Minnesota
Question by Britneyrose
I have had this plant for a little over a month. It was doing great until a few days ago I noticed the leaves look almost crispy around the edgeds. It has new growth it gets good sun,it never drys out completly before I water it but I dont (think) I over water it. Help
Thumb of 2017-08-24/Britneyrose/b87dcb

Thumb of 2017-08-24/Britneyrose/c087c3

Name: Lin
Florida Zone 9b, 10a

A comment from plantladylin
I've had Polka Dot Plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya) get crispy leaf edges when the air stays too dry; they like high humidity but the problem could also be caused by too much direct sun. I have one growing in the ground beneath an oak tree in my yard where it gets very bright light but no direct sun at all. I'd also check the moisture level of the soil ... my eyesight is not great but from what I can see from your photo, the top of the soil appears dry. They do not like to stay sopping wet but they will also pout and wilt when the soil gets too dry.

North Central TX (Zone 8a)
Answer from tx_flower_child

2

I think you might be giving the plant too much sun. You mentioned that it gets 'good sun'. And the leaves do look a little crispy. Polka dot plants prefer low light. (Maybe that's why one I had years ago didn't survive.)

Here's a link to a simple article that describes your plant and what it does or doesn't like.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.c...
Until I read this article I didn't know that Polka Dot plants (Hypoestes phyllostachya) are also called Freckle Face plants. Cute, eh?

Found another basic link. I might have misstated 'low light'. That's always a little hard to define, especially with houseplants. But I do think it's getting too much light. Perhaps it's too close to a window?
So anyway, this link talks about light, water, fertilizing, pests, etc. (Sorry that it's also one that is a sales site.)

https://www.houseplant411.com/...

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the good pictures. Always helps.

Good luck and happy gardening.

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
Answer from purpleinopp

1

I saw this question elsewhere and already provided a comment there, but additionally, I don't think this species could get too much sun through a window. I have them in various spots in my yard, and some are very sunny locations, with direct sun for hours during the middle of the day. The effect is smaller foliage and *much* decreased node distance.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"