Damage control - Knowledgebase Question

Qld
Question by Ralsy
Hi guys,
I have this plant ( see pictures ) that has just lost 2 of its new shoots. I have photographed a critter and was wondering if this little bugger could have done the damage. I have seen a tiny little mite running around as well.
What do you think. And, what can I do about it?
Cheers
Ralsy
Thumb of 2017-08-25/Ralsy/c95545

Thumb of 2017-08-25/Ralsy/a4bae1

Thumb of 2017-08-25/Ralsy/1b56b8

Thumb of 2017-08-25/Ralsy/b3fdd0

Thumb of 2017-08-25/Ralsy/4d51ba

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Answer from sooby

1

The insect looks like a weevil but it's hard to be sure - a sharper picture (on a piece of white paper) would help. But I can't really add any more than that, other than that weevils can be plant feeders and so can their larvae. Whether they did any of that damage I have no idea.

Name: Lynn
Dallas, OR (Zone 8b)
Answer from valleylynn

1

That is a weevil. It can feed on both the roots of the plants in the larval form and the leaves in the adult form. There are organic products and non organic products that can be used to kill them.
Also at night you can check the plant and hand pick the weevils. You can also take the plant up and clean the roots and pot in new soil.

Name: Lin
Florida Zone 9b, 10a

Answer from plantladylin

0

It looks like a weevil to me also. Adult weevils and the larvae are plant feeders. The adults are usually found on leaves but the larvae can be found in the soil or on the plants stems. Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled atop the soil should help eradicate them or a spray with insecticidal soap would work too.

Check out images on this page for comparison: http://www.brisbaneinsects.com...

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

-1

I don't recognize that bug, but I doubt that it and others like it caused the damage to the new growth on your Philodendron. Inadequate light and/or keeping the soil too moist are the more likely possible causes.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"