Untitled - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento, CA
Question by PinkCrystals
Found tiny pellet-like structures (about 1/8" long) on a couple leaves of my Rose of Sharon. It is dry, not sticky - fell off once I touched them. This is a new plant (1month); just finished renovating our backyard and all the plants have been a bit stressed (to say the least!) due to 100+ temps practically every day! Any ideas? From an insect? Thanks in advance!
Thumb of 2017-08-27/PinkCrystals/12bc14

Name: Lin
Florida Zone 9b, 10a

Answer from plantladylin

1

It looks like Caterpillar excrement (poop) to me.

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
A comment from DaisyI
I was going to say that but couldn't figure out how to nicely. Good job Lin. (where are the emojis?)

Sacramento, CA
A comment from PinkCrystals
Thanks to both of you....I'll keep my eyes open to try and determine what type of caterpillar before I decide what to do.

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
My dogs love me; some people don't.
A comment from greene
I agree. And back when I found something like that and posted my question, someone called it 'frass', so I guess caterpillar frass would be the polite answer?! ;)

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"