Any of your experts have exerience with Wisteria in Alaska ? - Knowledgebase Question

Anchorage (south-central) ,
Question by johnwolfe
Transplanted a Wisteria Florescens at June 22 ; growing like a weed, successfully . Several related questions for my location at Anchorage, Alaska : 1. Will it survive the winter? 2. Will it freeze back to its roots and have to 'start fresh' each spring? 3 What do you suggest to 'protect' the healthy green creepers from cold & snow during the winter months?
I plan to have a three-foot circle of bark mulch around the roots , about 3 - 4 inches deep , as recommended online.
Open to any and all helpful suggestions ; thank you .

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
A comment from DaisyI
What kind of Wisteria? How cold does it get in Anchorage?

Anchorage (south-central) ,
A comment from johnwolfe
Thanks for the response, Daisy ; I mis-spoke myself in my initial question - this is called a "Glycinia / Wisteria Frutescens / Amethyst Falls" and it's doing great, but I need info on over-wintering.
Anchorage is at about 61 degrees North ; winters average between Zero and 15-above, but can get down to maybe (-) 20 or (-) 30 in a very cold snap for a few days . johnwolfe

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Answer from DaisyI

-1

I've never tried to grow a Wisteria in Alaska but, Wisteria Frutescens Amethyst Falls is hardy to Zone 5 - that's minus 20. That's the good news.

Is your plant grafted? Or cutting grown? You can tell because the rootstock grows faster than the grafted stock so there is a bulge just above the soil line. (share a photo if you are un-sure). It probably will die back to the ground or close but if its not grafted, the plant will be back. If it is grafted, the rootstock will be back.

Mulching is an excellent idea. Just keep the mulch back about 6 inches from the trunk of the plant to avoid root rot. The deeper the better.

I'm not sure you can save the creepers but piling an entire tree's worth of leaves on the plant may do the trick. If you think the leaves will be blown away, put some burlap or something over the leaf pile and hold it down with rocks or bricks. Don't pack the leaves down - the air spaces are the insulation.

The other casualty of cold weather are the blooms.

Anchorage (south-central) ,
A comment from johnwolfe
Many thanks, Daisy ; appreciate all the good suggestions !

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"