How do I bring my coleus inside? - Knowledgebase Question

Southeast Michigan
Question by wyldflower777
I have 2 wonderful coleus plants in containers outside. They are about 18" and 24" in height. It's becoming cold and I would like to bring them inside (Southeast MI.) I don't have the bright sunlight they have been growing in available inside, and also am concerned about insects. Any tips?

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
Answer from purpleinopp

2

I've been saving Coleus over winter for many, many years. You can bring entire potted plants, or take cuttings and stick them in pots, or in jars of water on windowsills. If plants do not have pests when brought in, they would be unlikely to just appear, aside from spider mites, which love many plants while inside over winter, and do just show up sometimes. Rinsing plants often will prevent them from being able to get to the point where the plant is in danger.

But without enough light, expect etiolation, fading, loss of vigor, at best.

There is a Coleus forum here, where this very discussion is about to happen in a big way, as it does every fall, if you would like to browse some of the discussions there.
https://garden.org/forums/view...

Southeast Michigan
A comment from wyldflower777
Thank you for your input. I am somewhat concerned as both of them are in containers with other plants, not sure how to extricate them. As for spider mites...I have lost plants before to them, thanks for the tip about rinsing them. An acorn to you, as soon as I learn how to navigate this site!

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
A comment from purpleinopp
I'm happy to swap anecdotes anytime. I would love to show you some pics of what I have done to save Coleus over winter but I do not see a facility for doing that in this area of the site. Extrication is more work and mess than I'm willing to get into, while I have so many other plants to pot in the fall. Cuttings can be stuck in pots with other plants that are already potted and coming inside, like regular house plants that were vacationing outside for summer, or stuck in jars/bottles of water to save on windowsills. Just don't use those with very small openings because it is too hard to get the roots out in the spring and, of course, don't forget to fill with water once a month, or sooner if needed.

Having been here for a while, I have a pile of acorns squirreled away for winter, so I sent some back to you. Welcome to the site, hope you have fun & good luck!

Name: Christine
Saugerties, NY zone 5a
Answer from Christine

0

Bringing them inside is tricky, I think you'd be better off taking a bunch of clippings and starting them in the house, the reasons which you already know, they could contain bugs and the difference in lighting will cause major leaf drop. I hope this helps answer your question.

Southeast Michigan
A comment from wyldflower777
Thank you. The answer I was expecting, but wanted to hear otherwise. These plants have grown huge over the summer, and I was hoping to keep them inside so they could continue to grow. The only place I have sunlight for them is where our two large dogs play...I haven't been able to put up a Christmas tree for years as they will topple it. I would give you an acorn, but I'm new to this site and not sure how to!

Name: Christine
Saugerties, NY zone 5a
A comment from Christine
Your welcome, dont feel bad, I've been a member for years and I'm not sure how to give acorns either...

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"