Plants that help purify air - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Jared Nicholes
Nampa, Idaho
Question by jnicholes
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a question. I have a penpal in Vietnam who is asking about plants that help purify air. She is asking because, as she says, "The air in my city is very dirty."

I am trying to do research on plants that help purify air to help her out. My question is this:

Does anyone here know of plants that help purify air?

All I want to do is help my penpal,

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

Name: Carole
Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b)
A comment from SongofJoy
Did you find the info you wanted?

Name: Gene Staver
Portage WI 53901 (Zone 5a)
Answer from gasrocks

0

Google it. There are many, many sites offering this info already. Gene

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
A comment from DaisyI
Good answer Gene (inspite of what others may think). I can spend the next hour finding websites for lists of air-purifying plants or I can suggest the OP do that. I am taking away one of your down votes.

Name: Gene Staver
Portage WI 53901 (Zone 5a)
A comment from gasrocks
An hour? Took me 1 minute.

Name: Jared Nicholes
Nampa, Idaho
A comment from jnicholes
Hello,

I came here for help, and you told me to google it. To be honest, that makes me kinda mad. Isn't a forum supposed to be about helping others and sharing advice?

Here is why I am mad, I don't trust google. I once read something on google about fishing, tried it, and almost got into BIG trouble for poaching! I don't want answers from google, I want to hear from someone who has experience and knows what to do.

That is why I am mad. I apologize for venting.

Jared

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
A comment from Weedwhacker
Hi Jared -- I'm afraid quite a few of us are a little out of sorts over this new Q&A format. :-(
I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for your question - I think pretty much all plants help "purify" the air to some extent, but I'm not sure there are any that would be sufficient to clean up a polluted city.

Name: Jared Nicholes
Nampa, Idaho
A comment from jnicholes
Hello,

I understand, I just hate being told to google it. I have almost gotten in trouble many times because of something google said.

Jared

Name: Gene Staver
Portage WI 53901 (Zone 5a)
Answer from gasrocks

0

The reason you want to Google it is you will be reading what experts and universities have to say. I doubt there are any "experts" here. Google is huge. Myself, I'd not give up on it because I found one misleading answer. Gene

Name: Jared Nicholes
Nampa, Idaho
A comment from jnicholes
Hello,

I understand now, and I am not mad anymore. Thanks for telling me this. I have aspergers and ADD, and it is hard to understand things sometimes. Thanks for making it clear.

Jared

Name: Gene Staver
Portage WI 53901 (Zone 5a)
A comment from gasrocks
https://greatist.com/connect/h...

Name: Gene Staver
Portage WI 53901 (Zone 5a)
A comment from gasrocks
Forums like this one are a great place to seek out first hand advice from experienced gardeners. Very technical questions, IMO, are best researched at Google. Gene

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

0

Google can be very helpful and also very unhelpful. There is a tremendous amount of poor information available online. Best to check the credentials of the source.

The studies of plants that clean the air have been done in carefully controlled environments that none of us have in our homes. There are many lists of different plants that allegedly remove certain air pollutants. However, the bottom line is that all healthy plants will help remove some pollutants, but unhealthy plants will not. Thus, it is best to select plants based on how well they will grow in a particular environment.

To have a significant effect on air quality, you would have to have dozens of plants in a single room. Thus, it is best not to rely on plants for cleaning the air.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"