Anyone have Bruno like canning recipe for Sierra Nevada chilenos? - Knowledgebase Question

Sacramento CA
Question by Kenealy
Finally found seeds and plants for this hard to come by pepper. Now I need good canning recipe. Thank you.

Jack Kenealy

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
Dreams don't work unless you do.
A comment from greene
Comment only:
I see that someone is offering recipes here:
https://garden.org/boards/inde...

Sacramento CA
A comment from Kenealy
Thank you. There is one but it's unclear whether or not they use a water bath. Appreciate your response. Jack

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Answer from Weedwhacker

1

Hi -- this is the recipe that I use for pickling hot peppers; I usually do pepperoncini peppers (whole), and banana peppers (cut into rings).

Ingredients:
3 pounds peppers
6 cups water, for brine
1 1/2 cups pickling salt, for brine
3 cups water, for canning
3 cups vinegar, for canning
3 teaspoons pickling salt, for canning

Directions:
Mix salt and water for brine and cover the peppers with the mixture. Place a plate on top to keep peppers submerged. Soak overnight to crisp the pepers. Drain, rinse well and dry.

Pack peppers into sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch of headroom. Combine the water, vinegar and salt and bring to a boil. Pour over the peppers, leaving no head space. Remove trapped air bubbles. Store for 4-6 weeks in a cool, dark place before serving.

Can use whole smaller peppers (poke a couple of holes or make a slit in them to allow pickling solution to penetrate) or cut up larger peppers.

Yields about 4 pints.

Notes:
Peppers in the "green stage" (although not necessarily green in color, may be yellow or some other color) will come out crisper than "ripe" peppers. This works particularly well with hot banana pepper rings and whole pepperoncini peppers.

Important! -- Because you do not process in a hot water bath, be scrupulous in sterilizing the jars and equipment, as well as with washing the peppers, and be sure the pickling liquid is boiling hot.

Sacramento CA
A comment from Kenealy
Thank you so much for your response. I wasn't sure about the water bath. You answered an important question for me and I appreciate it.

Jack

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"