Living in the wet PAC NW, how & when should I plant lupine seeds? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: MJ Peck
Port Townsend, WA (Zone 7b)
Question by winniwoman
I live on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, on the Olympic Peninsula of the Pacific Northwest U.S. From most of May - September it is above 70 degrees reaching into the high 80's with very little to no rain. We went over 50 days in a row with no rain this summer! We rarely get into the mid-30's in the winter, but does it ever rain! Starting in October it almost never stops until the end of April. My yard has about 2 - 3 feet of pretty good soil and bark mulch on top of solid clay.

A friend gave me some seeds for red lupines. How and when should I start them? What can I do to be successful with them?

Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
Answer from ctcarol

0

It probably depends on which kind of lupine it is, but I don't think most will tolerate transplanting, so I would suggest planting seeds in place in the fall. We have less rain than you, but in the wild they come up in the spring. I believe they can take the winter temps on the west coast.

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
A comment from DaisyI
Yes, they grow quite easily from seed after spending the winter outside. I cover them with enough soil so the birds don't steal them.

I have never had luck with transplanting Lupine.

Name: Deb
Pacific NW (Zone 8b)
A comment from Bonehead
I agree with the above. The wild plain purple lupine that grows along our roadsides simply drop their seed when they are ripe and reliably self-seed. Lovely plant.

Name: MJ Peck
Port Townsend, WA (Zone 7b)
Answer from winniwoman

0

Thank you all for your answers. We are xing our fingers that our seeds planted late winter will do some sprouting soon! ~ MJ

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"