What's wrong with my Jade? - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville Ky
Question by Jcurry0003
Hello~ My Jade is about 3-4 years old and up until a few months ago was looking great. I had her in my bathroom. There was no window, but she had alot of new growth and was very full of leaves all over. I had to move her due to a remodel. I placed her in my kitchen . She was not near a window there either. I noticed her leaves falling off frequently and now she looks pitiful. I felt the base of her stems and they were hard not soft. Also stuck a skew in dirt and it came back dry. I only water when the top soil is dry. I recently placed her in the northeast section of my home with a window. I have never had any issues with the plant, very easy to care for. I was hoping for some help and advise so that she doesn't die. Thanks
Thumb of 2017-08-31/Jcurry0003/7c9680

Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
Answer from ctcarol

1

Jades grow in full sun here. Time to give yours more sun.

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
A comment from Weedwhacker
I agree with Carol -- the #1 problem is that your plant isn't getting enough sunlight. Also, what sort of soil is it planted in? A Jade should have a very well-draining mix.

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

0

Jades will go a long time without adequate light before showing any symptoms. Your description of the available light in the two locations is vague and hard to assess, but I agree with what others have posted, that Jades do best when given as much indoor light as possible.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"