Grass has been poisened! - Knowledgebase Question

Victoria
Question by Nora5783
Hi guys! if my grass has been poisened does that mean i should put seeds on it? What do you suggest im new to gardening so i dont know how to go about my dead grass. Any tips? 😎 (also when i say my grass i mean the entire backyard lol i guess the last owners were quite lazy with the grass!)

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
A comment from Weedwhacker
Do you actually know that it was "poisoned"? If so, what chemical was used? (the type of chemical will make a difference in how you can proceed) Alternatively, if you live where the weather has been hot and dry, maybe the grass is just brown and dried out - and probably dormant, not dead.

Victoria
A comment from Nora5783
Hi sandy yes i know it has been poisened as i know the old owners of the house! I dont know the exact brand though unfortunely

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
My dogs love me; some people don't.
A comment from greene
Are you in Canada? I think there are only a limited number of acceptable herbicides that can be sold/used.
Did you purchase the house? If so, contact your real estate agent and tell them to get in touch with the seller - if someone deliberately poisoned the land you have a right to know what was used. The seller could be liable for damages.

Name: Deb
Pacific NW (Zone 8b)
Answer from Bonehead

3

Since you don't know the nature of the poison used, here's what I would do. During the rest of our dry weather, I'd rake out rocks, level up the surface, and dig out obvious weeds like tap-rooted dandelions. Once we are into the rainy fall season, I'd add a good layer of topsoil (if that is an affordable option) and then reseed. You may want to also do a soil test and supplement any missing minerals or adjust for pH. Hope for the best. Good luck.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"