Can I use Orchid Fertilizer to fertilize my other house plants? - Knowledgebase Question

Denver, CO
Question by sclark64
Can I use Orchid Fertilizer to fertilize my pothos ivy and ruby ficus?

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Answer from DaisyI

1

So Greene and I get a down vote because we said.... Or because we didn't??

Okay, here is the simple answer: YES! But always use any fertilizer at 1/4 strength.

Name: Will Creed
NYC
Professional indoor plant consultan
Answer from WillC

1

Fertilizer is over-rated and over-promoted. The label dilution rates assume ideal growing conditions, which few of us have in our homes. So it is best to use it at half strength or less.

For most house plants, a 3-1-2 NPK ratio is best and the fertilizer should also contain minor and trace elements. But this is more background information rather than essential information. If you skipped fertilizer altogether, your plants would probably do just fine.

One last point - fertilizer is not medicine and should never be used for ailing plants.

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
Dreams don't work unless you do.
Answer from greene

0

The commercial world makes all these specific formulas that are optimum for the named plant. You could use a diluted mixture (maybe 1/4 strength) and it probably will cause no harm.

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Answer from DaisyI

0

Most of those 'specific' fertilizers are exactly the same with a different label. I never worry about which fertilizer I grab. But, as Greene pointed out, I always mix at one quarter strength.

Did you know that Miracle Gro was originally developed for orchids?

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"