What is the orange stuff I have found on several leaves of vegitable plants? - Knowledgebase Question

OR
Question by DebOregon
I have found an orange substance on the top of zucchini leaves, cucumber leaves, and marijuana leaves. (see pictures) I thought it may be pollen but there were no flowers near the area where the substance has been found. One time I found some on a marijuana leaf and there were two trips next to it. I have yet to see another trip anywhere on my marijuana plant after killing those two. I am battling white flies on my zucchini and thrips on my beans and cucumbers. Could the orange substance be related to one of these pests? Maybe a different pest? I am also battling powdery mildew.

Thanks for your help.
Deb
Thumb of 2017-09-02/visitor/b8aabe

Thumb of 2017-09-02/visitor/b780a6

Thumb of 2017-09-02/visitor/0368df

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Answer from DaisyI

0

Do you know what a Mexican Bean Beetle is? They look like ladybugs that are more brown than red. That is the only insect I know of that lays tiny orange eggs.

There is some relationship between white flies and powdery mildew but I'm not sure what it is. It may be that the mildew is growing on insect poop. If you can get rid of the white flies, you will be able to control and eliminate the powdery mildew.

The best way I know of to get rid of the white flies is with sticky traps. Set up the traps then shake the plants. The flies resettle on the traps.

Hope this helps.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"