Is this a wasp, hornet, or yellow jacket and how do I get rid of them!? - Knowledgebase Question

KS
Question by Paradox5154
We have a large amount of wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets in a tree in our front yard and I want to get rid of them to make sure they don't sting my 2 year old son or me when I am mowing. Could you please help me identify what this is and how I get rid of it? Note, it is a pretty large tree and these things are all over it, I am not sure arasol cans will work, I will need A LOT of them! Also note, I wouldn't care if they didn't pose a risk to my son and I but they do.

Thanks for your help!
Thumb of 2017-09-02/visitor/e480cc

Edit - a couple more details for my woefully vague post. I will post another picture of the one I got with a quarter and tape measure by it but it looks to be just shy of an inch curled up, my guessay is probably an in and a half when straightened out. When I say they are all over, I believe them to be nesting, not hunting. They are basically on every branch of the tree, not like a swarm that comes and goes. I believe the tree is aN oak tree but am open to correction. On that as I am not really one for much plant knowledge. My wife says it has "oak galls" I don't know if those are nests for these things or not but they are also all over the tree. I will post more images of several of these things.

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/6a5b42

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/9bf4dc

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/6b6270

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/2b164a

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/388e08

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Paradox5154/d381a3

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
My dogs love me; some people don't.
A comment from greene
Please, what is the size of this? Also, when you say they are "all over the tree" do you mean they are making a nest in the tree or are they hunting for prey in the tree? Maybe knowing what kind of tree might help, too. Thanks.

Name: Lin
Florida Zone 9b, 10a

Answer from plantladylin

1

Do you know if you by chance have Cicada's in your area? I'm not sure what it is but it reminds me a lot of a Cicada Killer Wasp. We have Cicada's here during the summer and the Cicada Wasps seem to be around in July and August. The females dig burrows/nests in the lawn. They kill cicadas and place them in the nest for the larvae to eat. The first time I saw those wasps they really scared me because there were so many flying around ... but luckily they don't appear aggressive. I've always been afraid of getting stung by wasps since getting a bad sting as a child so they really rattled me at first. Now, I walk around the yard with quite a few of them flying around and I've never been stung. You can read about them here:
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/...

I took these photos last month.Cicada Killer Wasp and one of the many excavations in the lawn
Thumb of 2017-09-03/plantladylin/f57f42 Thumb of 2017-09-03/plantladylin/507caf

KS
A comment from Paradox5154
Thanks, it does look a lot like your picture. It is interesting, I mow the lawn all the time and haven't ever noticed a nest lime you posted on the ground. I will need to take a better look in tomorrow's daylight. Thanks!

Name: stone
near Macon Georgia (USA) (Zone 8a)
Answer from stone

0

Your wasp looks like a sand wasp.
There are a number of sand wasp varieties, all seem to be lone nesters, capturing caterpillars for their children, and pollinating all the flowers in the garden.
You're going to want to encourage these.
Having native pollinators in the garden means not having to laboriously hand pollinate the produce.

https://laidbackgardener.wordp...

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
Answer from DaisyI

-1

It does look like a Cicada killer wasp but I don't think they swarm and are pretty much harmless unless you are a Cicada.

To get rid of them, you would have to find the nests somewhere in the ground in your yard. Then go back at night and use some wasp spray - fill up the hole with spray.

KS
A comment from Paradox5154
Thanks for the help! I will have to look for nests somewhere. I have never noticed anything other than the "oak galls" in the tree and figured that was the nest.

Name: Daisy I
Reno, Nv (Zone 6b)
Not all who wander are lost
A comment from DaisyI
That is a different (tiny, harmless) wasp.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"