Landscape ideas please/Florida yard - Knowledgebase Question

Fort Myers, Florida
Question by Rinahen
We live on west coast of Florida (fort Myers) and this is our side yard (faces east). Recently removed all of the ground cover due to a weed problem. In the back of the bed is ginger plants and a small tree fern. Looking for some ideas on what to plant in front around the big oak. The bed is pretty shady due to the oak. Thanks for your help! Trying to accomplish this in the next couple days in preparation for a big backyard party!!
Thumb of 2017-09-03/visitor/f6a71c
Thumb of 2017-09-03/visitor/04f810

Name: Scott
Tampa FL (Westchase)
Answer from ScotTi

0

Bromeliads will work great in the area of the Oak. Stoloniferas types ( Fireball, Nemo, Zoe etc ) Also add a few Crotons for height.
Thumb of 2017-09-03/ScotTi/77de79

Name: Carol
Santa Ana, ca
Sunset zone 22, USDA zone 10 A.
A comment from ctcarol
I agree with Scott. Some need more sun than others, so do some research before investing in them.

Name: stone
near Macon Georgia (USA) (Zone 8a)
Answer from stone

0

I think I would mulch and leave be.
If you are fixing to have a garden party in a couple days, theres simply not enough time for a new planting to get established and start to look like anything.
As the temp cools, you may be able to start planting....

Would need to consider whether you were more interested in perennials or annuals...
Also...
When you say ginger....
Do you mean ginger, or asarum?
If you mean ginger.... Why not consider some curcumas?
If you mean those delightful woodland plants.... Maybe go with more small woodland natives... Like... Spigelia, maybe some pipevine...

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"