Rex Begonia wilting problem - Knowledgebase Question

Nebraska
Question by Jdmatt15
About 6 weeks ago, I purchased a small, healthy looking rex begonia to add to my growing plant collection. At first I thought it was transplanting great, no wilt the first week or better. Then it SLOWLY started to wilt away. The stems lost their rigidity, and are just laying on top of the soil. The leaves aren't discolored at all, just very wilted. Haven't watered the thing for a week, looks like I watered it yesterday. It's in a small ceramic pot with a hole at the base (I checked). What's going on? I put some rice on top to pull some moisture out, looks a little too wet maybe.

Thumb of 2017-09-03/Jdmatt15/784376
Thumb of 2017-09-03/Jdmatt15/f4f442

Name: greene
Savannah, GA (Sunset 28) (Zone 8b)
My dogs love me; some people don't.
A comment from greene
Rice??? Why??? To attract vermin?
Just pull that plant out and get some new planting medium' repot the plant in a good quality mix and leave the rice for dinner.

Nebraska
A comment from Jdmatt15
I since have removed the rice... Just something I had heard somewhere.

Name: Trish
North Yorkshire
Answer from Yorkshirelass

0

Your plants are very small in a large plant pot which will hold too much moisture for their little roots to uptake. They are unlikely to recover. Next time try potting on gradually from one size pot to the next size.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"