Information on growing Dahlia bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Bowie, Maryland
Question by lbarrow
Should I store dig up and store dahlia bulbs in fall and replant in spring? I reside in Bowie, Maryland.

Name: Rj
Just S of the twin cities of M (Zone 4b)
A comment from crawgarden
Dahlias should be good down to zone 8 to leave in the ground. Looks like your location is 7a

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
A comment from Weedwhacker
I think that translates to "yes, you need to dig them and store over the winter" -- right, Rj?

Name: Rj
A comment from crawgarden
That is a yes :))

Bowie, Maryland
A comment from lbarrow
Thanks

Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Answer from luvsgrtdanes

2

Dig them after a hard frost has killed the leaves. Cut off all vegetation and clean off all the dirt. Let them sit and dry some for a few days. Wrap in plastic bags or paper and store in a box in cool dry area. Make sure it doesn't freeze and it also isn't too warm. An unheated basement is good.
You can also layer them in peat moss in a box and store them that way but mine always did better wrapped. Don't forget to label them so you remember next year what they were.
Check on them every couple of months to make sure they aren't rotting or completely drying out. They should look plump not shriveled.

You can bring them out early spring and start them in the house for an earlier start come next year.

Bowie, Maryland
A comment from lbarrow
Thanks

Name: Ronnie (Veronica)
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
A comment from luvsgrtdanes
You're welcome, I hope it helped!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"