Accidentally cut grapevine - Knowledgebase Question

Oregon City, OR
Question by memamary
I was pruning my grapevine and cut the vine. Can I do something to make it grow back together?

Name: Philip Becker
Fresno California (Zone 8a)
A comment from Philipwonel
Eww #!!! An opps ! Darn-it moment. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ !!!
You know anybody that graphs ???
Otherwise ! Make new cuts and try it yourself.
Theres DIYs on it.
๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Name: Frank Mosher
Nova Scotia, Canada (Zone 6a)
A comment from fwmosher
December 31, 2017
Memamary, it is very difficult to kill a grape vine, one really has to work at it. Here is my suggestion: If there are any side "branches" wait until your early Spring, then cut off 5" cuttings, bare the bottom end 1/2 around, dip them in rooting hormone, and either stick same in a glass bottle, with just water, or in a sand/soil combo, with a cutoff soda bottle on top to keep them moist. Three months later you should have rooted cuttings!

Name: Deb
Pacific NW (Zone 8b)
Answer from Bonehead

3

Grape vines are very resilient. I don't know of any way to make it grow back together for this season, but it should recover nicely for next season. Oopsie.

Name: Joshua
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Zone 10b)
Kรถppen Climate Zone Cfb
Answer from Australis

0

All I can suggest is what Philip already commented on - you can try grafting it back together. Research how to graft grapevines. It depends on how much of the vine you have cut off, though - usually grafting is for small pieces.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"