How Come Ditch Lilies Don't Make Seeds? - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Ian McBeth
Lincoln NE (Zone 5b)
Question by SonoveShakespeare
I have been looking this answer up online and I couldn't find it. If any of you guys know why, please reply. I really want to know. Thanks :-)

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
A comment from purpleinopp
Are you asking about Hemerocallis fulva?
Ditch Lily (Hemerocallis fulva)

Name: Dave Whitinger
Jacksonville, Texas (Zone 8b)
Answer from dave

5

The plant you're probably thinking of is Daylily (Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso') which is a triploid. That means it has an uneven number of chromosomes, and can not reproduce sexually, thus is can't make seeds.

Name: Deb
Pacific NW (Zone 8b)
A comment from Bonehead
So, does the true (?) ditch lily, H. fulva, also not reproduce by seed? I have some I got from a friend years and years ago which has never really increased even though she said I would never get rid of them... Confused. I planted in a driveway edge and hoped they would colonize at will. They have slowly increased, but not at all rampantly.

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
A comment from purpleinopp
I am curious about the plain species also. If one bought a named cultivar, they would probably know it. H. fulva is EVERYWHERE in OH, I always assumed seeds were involved but do not know any facts to share.

Name: Dave Whitinger
Jacksonville, Texas (Zone 8b)
A comment from dave
H. fulva is shown in our database as diploid:
Daylily (Hemerocallis fulva var. fulva) that would mean it would have no trouble reproducing by seed. 'Kwanzo' is the triploid cultivar of that species.

Name: Sue
Ontario, Canada (Zone 4a)
Answer from sooby

4

The common single flowered "ditch lily" is Hemerocallis fulva 'Europa' and this is the plant that is usually referred to as a "ditch lily". Hemerocallis fulva 'Kwanso' is a double flowered daylily. Both are triploids while most daylilies are diploid or tetraploid. 'Europa' can rarely set seeds but mostly spreads by rhizomes. 'Kwanso' typically does not have normal female parts therefore it cannot produce seeds in any case, and it too spreads by rhizomes. There are other Hemerocallis fulva daylilies that are diploid, however, but those would only be encountered in garden collections and not in ditches.

Name: Kat
Magnolia, Tx (Zone 8b)
A comment from kittriana
Sometimes the area you live in can slow the growth of a plant. The soil could be not right, the sun could be different, daylilies of the native varieties are a great deal like a grass. Sometimes disturbing them makes them grow faster, sometimes the colonies they make slow them down. Many things could control their growth speed.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "African Violet"