Moving Cannas from zone 6 to 8b - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Susan
Silver Lake NY 14549 and Hilto
Question by Lakegirl
Ok ..get ready for a goofy question.. I bought 8 beautiful cannas this summer in zone 6 ( a cottage where I summmer but is unseated during the winter )..I winter in zone 8b and then return to zone 6 in May... I don't want to lose these beautiful plants. Is it realistic to cut them back and take them with me to SC and then bring them back up north and enjoy their blooms next summer. Should they remain dormant in SC by placing them in peat moss and if so when should I pot them up to start growing so I can bring north them with me in mid May and enjoy their blooms again next summer.

Name: Rj
Just S of the twin cities of M (Zone 4b)
A comment from crawgarden
I keep Cannas year round in my zone 4b area, I have them in containers and just move them to the basement which stays around 50 deg, just giving them a little water each month.
I would try cutting them back, pot them up and take them to SC

Name: Tiffany purpleinopp
Opp, AL 🌵🌷⚘🌹🌻 (Zone 8b)
Answer from purpleinopp

0

If you put them in the ground in Z8, they can spend winters having an ideal dormancy, and in the spring, you can pry up a few around the edges to take up north. If you put some in the ground in Z6 in a spot that doesn't get soggy when it rains, and cover them with a decent pile of leaves, they could survive there anyway, with little danger of spreading wantonly beyond the designated area.

Be careful where you put them in Z8, they *never* stop creeping. Not suitable in a "flower bed" with other plants. Being surrounded by regularly-mowed area or some kind of concrete barrier is safe.

Name: Susan
Silver Lake NY 14549 and Hilto
A comment from Lakegirl
By gosh it has been a crazy busy time ...just reading you helpful tip on my cannas....I put them in some giant pots until I can figure out the best drainage and sun area in our new home..thanks so much for your wonderful advice!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"